Skip navigation.
New Mexico State University
Department of Physics
About Us

History

The Department of Physics at New Mexico State University was founded by Dr. George Gardiner in 1934. Dr. Gardiner

George W. Gardiner

Dr. George W. Gardiner was the first Department Head of Physics at the New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (NMA&M), as NMSU was formerly known. Dr. Gardiner was also the founder of NMSU's Physical Science Laboratory in 1947.

Gardiner Hall

Gardiner Hall is the home of Physics and the Engineering Physics program and was erected in 1956 and named after George W. Gardiner

Gardiner Hall recently underwent a major renovation to support an ever-growing Physics department and the technological advancement needs of our students and research.

George W. Gardiner Professorship

The George W. Gardiner Professorship is awarded every two years to a physics faculty member who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship, leadership, research and training. This endowed professorship was made possible by the estate of Anna H. Gardiner, wife of George W. Gardiner.